Gambia: Jammeh ‘Sacks’ US Ambassador Who Urged Him To Concede

Gambia: Jammeh ‘Sacks’ US Ambassador Who Urged Him To Concede

The Gambia’s President Yahya Jammeh has sacked the US ambassador who urged him to concede defeat to Adama Barrow who won the presidential election recently.

In a letter which is circulating on social media, bearing the embassy’s official stamp, Ambassador Omar Faye writes:

I would like to inform my friends, colleagues and all Gambians that I have been recalled for home service.

The ambassador says he will stand down willingly, adding he would like the long-serving ruler to follow his example:

I hope and pray that president Jammeh will likewise hand over to President Elect Adama Barrow,

He finishes his letter by urging all authorities, especially the army, which observers say is the key to the outcome of The Gambia’s election crisis, to respect Mr Barrow’s win in the 1 December election:

I am hereby reminding all Gambian officials, civil servants and military personnel [that] they are serving the people of The Gambia and must protect its security, peace and prosperity.

As a former military officer, I was taught loyalty to country FIRST. I hope the armed and security forces will uphold the WILL of The Gambian people made on December 1, 2016.”

Post a Comment

Previous Next

نموذج الاتصال